What's Your Helmet Attitude?

What's your helmet-tude?

Jessica Black, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Oklahoma e-mailed us a few months ago looking for ways to incentivize riders to take her survey on rider’s attitudes towards helmets.

As a company that’s focused on designing new ways to protect riders, it was a ‘no brainer’ for us to donate gift certificates to the cause, especially if it meant that riders would be more likely to participate in the survey.  In this blog, we're highlighting Black's survey on rider's attitudes towards helmets, or helmet attitude...helmet-tude.

The goal of her survey was two things: 1) to raise awareness around helmet usage and  2) to explore ways to improve responses to pro-helmet messages. To test whether pairing pro-helmet messages with photographs could make people more willing to accept the message, study participants were randomly assigned to view message texts paired with different images (ie: Would  a message paired with a picture of an endurance rider scaling Cougar Rock result be more appealing than a message paired with someone not riding or with no image at all?)

Over the course of a few months Black, an equestrian herself, surveyed over 1,000 people finding that, most of the time, attitudes on helmet usage were influenced by previous experiences. The study showed that those who had previous experience with a traumatic brain injury (TBI) or knew someone who did, were more likely to wear a helmet.  Out of the individuals who took the survey, 53.4% had suffered or knew someone who had suffered from a horse related TBI.  Western riders who had a prior traumatic brain injury (TBI) or knew someone who had were more likely to wear a helmet than Western riders that didn’t. While English riders as a discipline were more likely to wear helmets overall, they weren’t more likely to wear a helmet based on previous injuries.

We’re sharing this information because we believe that by being proactive and facilitating conversation about helmet usage, we can make a difference.

While 68.9% of riders claimed to wear a helmet while riding, what about the other 31.1%? Which part are you? What's your helmet-tude?

International Helmet Awareness Day (or IHAD) kicks off this weekend, we’ve spent the past month giving away 31 helmets on social media platforms, Facebook and Instagram to promote conversation about safety, awareness, and education. If you’re in the market for a new helmet, check out the rest of our website for more information or to find a tack store near you.

 

 

Comments